Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Patience or obsession? Three years stalking a table.

A few years ago I happened to notice a really fabulous iron table base with a really ratty table top in a local salvage store. It was love at first sight but I couldn't find a price tag on it. The table was hidden in a far corner holding up a dehumidifier which, of course, was my first clue. I knew the table wasn't for sale but there's no harm in asking. So I went downstairs and talked to the owner, which started a pattern of me asking about the table every time I stopped in there. Lest you think I was a pest, I didn't go in often. Maybe every 6 months or so. Let's just say 'overpriced.'


One day I stopped in and learned the owner was retiring and selling out. So I asked again about that table and this time it WAS for sale and at an incredibly low price. As low prices were unheard of at this particular business, I snapped it up before anyone could change their mind. (The owner had once hunted me down at a neighboring business to tell me a piece I was going to buy was not for sale. It was out in his parking lot sale, for pete's sake. Wha' dya mean, not for sale?) I made my getaway all the while imagining the store owner running down the road, waving his arms.


The first thing I did was replace the ratty top with the super distressed bottom of an old wine barrel. And after much thought, I painted and distressed a celtic knot on top. 



There are the remains of a manufactures label still attached so I googled for info. Well, well, well, turns out these table bases are quite desirable. huh


Look at that amazing texture! 



I found a sheet of teal press board with fabulous water stains at the ReStore. For a long time I had been wanting a background that would suit my industrial stuff. I have a thing for chippy paint and rust on metal furniture and I wanted to experiment with photographs of some of those pieces. The contrast between the paint, the rust and the metal can be so dramatic, especially in black and white. It excites the budding photographer in me.


Linking to

4 comments:

  1. I did the same thing once, with a camel-back trunk at an antique shop. It was a display piece, and I asked about it every time I went in (which, like you, wasn't too often.) One day it had a price tag on it, and I couldn't whip out my debit card quite fast enough.

    Glad to see that you scored on this. I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that's amazing! I love it! Congratulations,and I love the top with it...Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I can't blame you this one was worth waiting for. I really like your new table top as well. Thanks for sharing, visiting from Miss Mustard Seed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes persistence does pay off. :) Congrats on finally owning it. It is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete