Friday, August 3, 2012

Can a table be a pet?

How my work day started:

I grabbed my Annie Sloan Old White, which I'd switched to a jar, and gave it a few good twirls to 'stir' it. Suddenly I had a jar lid in my hand and Old White spread out on the carpet in my work room.

I let out an inhuman shriek and threw myself down to the floor to scoop up as much paint as I could save. Worth its weight in gold, right? Who wouldn't grab a spoon and start scooping Old White?

When I'd salvaged as much paint as possible I cleaned the carpet - and cleaned the carpet.... It came out okay .... eventually .... but my advice to you about getting paint out of carpet is don't spill the stupid paint. And, yes, I have a huge drop cloth in my work room but that paint took a flying leap to the edge of the drop cloth in order to drench the carpet. 

It's all the paint's fault. If it hadn't collected and hardened in the jar lid, none of that would have happened.

I went back to my garage work space to work on this:
It's so precious it should have a name.
It was one of those "aw, look at that! It's so cute and little!" purchases. The little red table looked so serious, like it was trying to be a BIG table. I had to have it. And now it was time
for its transformation.


Ironically, the Old White I'd spilled wasn't even for this tiny table. Additionally, I wasn't even using chalk paint. I was using CeCe Caldwell paint this time. Alaskan Tundra and Ochre to be exact. They both are beautiful colors.

It had been a while and I was surprised with how easy the CeCe Caldwell paint is to use.  Distressing with a damp rag can't be beat, and I love how easy it is to blend the colors.

Here is my little red table wearing soft green and yellow.
The outdoor shots show the best representation of the color.
Fly little fledgling, fly!
The distressing was done with a damp rag. No dust! 
(No sandpaper was harmed during this project.)

The morning sun.           And a rabbit.
So much texture!
Ahhhh, my lovely. My sweet. My pet.
As always, this table was meant to go to the booth but I want to keep it! There is not one single place to put it but I keep roaming the house, looking for a spot. Mr. Bad says we're starting to look like old people who can't get rid of anything. So, I'm going to have to sacrifice something else to make room for my Little Table.

And, to top off the Old White incident:
While working on my little guy out in the garage I happened to look over and realize I'd painted and upholstered the wrong bench to go with a vanity I'd done. Fine. Just great. I can't even just go with it because this bench is too wide to fit under the vanity. No time to dwell on that now.

 I'm headed off to the local library, where I work a shift every week. Considering the day, I'm sure to rain havoc there. Shelve books that haven't been checked in. Courier holds to the wrong branch. You know. What can I say? Embrace the chemo brain. And check everything twice.

Join the sharing fun at these sites:
miss mustard seed
shabby nest
redoux interiors
french country cottage
common ground
stuff-and-nonsense
funky junk interiors
its overflowing
my 1929 charmer
the dedicated house
southern hospitality
my uncommon slice of suburbia
domestically speaking
savvy southern style
finding fabulous

7 comments:

  1. I can absolutely see every detail of this story ... The spilled paint, the vanity bench, the distracted library work ... I also see a beautiful little table. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table is oh so pretty. love what you did with it. great transformation.
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful re-do. Come on over and check out my new pennies on the dollar bedroom re-do. Isn't it fun when you have the ability to turn junk into lovely? Have a great day, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog! Please come by and link up your spaces with Making Space Mondays link party #10. I hope to see you there at www.debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com! -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute little table i love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have spilled paint myself and it ain't pretty cleaning it up. I love how your table turned out, really love the color combo. You as always did a really great job. Did she come back to the nest? So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the damp rag distressing tip!! Love your little table!

    ReplyDelete