Sunday, March 18, 2012

A good freshening up

When I first got this Lane cedar chest it was stained maple and screamed 1960s Early American decor. Or Colonial. Or whatever they called it in those days. It finally occurred to me that I'd painted just about everything else in the house that couldn't run away, so why not paint this chest and turn it into something I liked?

So I painted the chest Barn Red, which was my favorite furniture color back then. And I sanded and sanded and sanded. I had no idea what I was doing because this was the first piece of furniture I'd ever distressed.

And I added checks to the top along with new hardware. The original was a brass Early American
not-to-my-liking style.


I was satisfied for a few years, then the urge came. That irrepressible urge to paint something a different color. Barn Red had long ceased to be my favorite
furniture color.

A new idea emerged.

(Inspector 19)






2 comments:

  1. Fun dresser. I love the paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very pretty piece before you started working on it, love bottom part. But now that it has been "refreshed" up it looks gorgeous. Great job, so love the wings on top and love the color. Thanks so much for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete